Bill Russell, C
For a dictionary, a winner is the victor in a contest or game.
But for a NBA fan, a winner is Bill Russell, who no doubt is the greatest winner of all-time.
His legacy will be forever remembered as that of a true winner's, and when he retired he took his 11 championship rings with him and immediately was ranked at the top of everyone's lists as the greatest basketball player of all-time.
And although that was so long ago, Bill Russell is still ranked at the top of the lists, because he is as stated, one of the greatest NBA players of all-time.
His defense was probably the best defense the NBA has ever seen from a big man. He averaged a spectacular 22 rebounds per game, and even as a big man he averaged 4 assists per game.
If you are still inconvinced, here are some of his accomplishments that might change your mind:
- 11x NBA Champion (1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969)
- 5x NBA MVP (1958, 1961-1963, 1965)
- 12x NBA All-Star (1958-1969)
- 3x All-NBA First Team Selection (1959, 1963, 1965)
- 8x All-NBA Second Team Selection (1958, 1960-1962, 1964, 1966-1968)
- 1x NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection (1969)
- 1x NBA All-Star Game MVP (1963)
- NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
- NBA 35th Anniversary Team
- NBA 25th Anniversary Team
Bill Russell will forever be remember for 3 things:
1. A great teammate
2. A hardworker on both sides of the court
3. Most of all, a passion to win that no one could match
5. Bill Russell
6. Larry Bird
7. Oscar Robertson
8. Elgin Baylor
9. Tim Duncan
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
Coming soon: 4th best player of all-time